WHAT IS A PATIENT-CENTERED MEDICAL HOME?
A medical home is a team approach to providing total health care. Your medical home team will include your health care provider, others who support you, and-most importantly –you.
YOUR MEDICAL HOME CAN:
- Help you manage your health care
- Help answer your health questions
- Listen to your concerns
- Work with other medical experts if necessary
- Coordinate your care through additional services
- Encourage you to play an active part in your own health care
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT?
- Your team can answer questions and help you better understand your health care needs
- If you need to get help from other doctors, your team can support you every step of the way
- When you have concerns about your health, your medical home team will work with you to determine the best way to deal with them.
TOGETHER YOU AND YOUR CARE TEAM CAN WORK ON A PLAN THAT:
- Is personalized or created just for you
- Is coordinated with other health care providers
- Connects you with your care team
WHAT CAN YOU DO TO HELP?
1. Be an active team player
- Talk with your team about your health questions
- Share your past health care successes and challenges
- Tell your team about other health care professionals who care for you
- Tell your team how you feel about the care you are getting from them
2. Take care of your health
- Follow the health care plan you and your team have talked about. Make sure you understand how to follow the plan. Set goals you can reach. Once you begin to see results, you and your team can discuss adding new goals
3. Talk openly with your team
- Tell your team if you are having trouble sticking with your plan
- Speak up if your care plan is not working. Tell your team what is not working so together you can make changes if needed.
DURING OR BEFORE YOUR APPOINTMENT MAKE SURE YOU KNOW:
- The names of your team members
- List of health questions you need answered
- Talk with your team about what health issue to work on first
- Repeat back the instructions so both you and your team will know the information is clear
- Know how to reach your team after hours
- Before you leave an appointment, know the things you need to work on before your next visit